Saturday, July 30, 2011

My Magnificent English Class




What I learnt in class ...



Today, when I told my DDC sem 1 students that they need to create a blog for this English course, I vividly remember the look on their face. Some looked very excited, very thrilled – well, I thought perhaps they already had a blog before and felt eager to continue with what they have or maybe perhaps these are the challenger lovers –who dare to try something new, something that they have never tried before- I just love this type of look on my students’ face.
Yet, There is another look which sort of worries me a bit – the anxiety look which the face sort of saying inside them “Wow! What’s this? Can I do it... it looks like something big... to start with –my English is not good to understand the instruction on how to create a blog ..wow, I feel like quitting the course”.
I’m glad that I didn’t get the uninterested and ‘bored to death’ look from both classes. Thank God. From my experience, dealing with uninterested students was difficult and traumatic.
The students asked questions on what to write, I could see that they were still puzzled , even though I have told and written on the board on journal writing , I also used the word ‘dairy’ which they are more familiar with. Ok here I learnt one thing – I need to be more specific next time, I should write it down (instead of just saying it verbally), perhaps on transparency, the specific things or sub topics that the students should include in their journal writing so that they will be on the right track. I shouldn’t confuse them and make them feel unhappy for not knowing what to write. I guess better still, I do one example in my own blog of what I want them to write in their blog. Yeah, I think the students will be clearer this way and save me from getting angry seeing the students’ work /blog not being done the way I want it.

Vocabularies of today
1.Accelerate means
(i)to increase speed
•She accelerated and passed the bus in front.
(ii)to cause something to occur faster or happen earlier
•Fertilizers accelerate the growth of plants

2.Absurd means unreasonable, foolish, ridiculous.
• What an absurd suggestion!
• Don’t be absurd!

My Opinion on current issue – Coupling
I’m against coupling among students because it is wrong in our religion. Islam forbids one from going out with an opposite gender because it will bring about more harm than good – the Satan or devil will be there where the couples are, whispering to them to do things that they are not supposed to do.
Nowadays, if you read the daily newspaper or watch the news bulletin on TV, there are so many news on new born babies being dumped by the parent. Why didn’t the parent love the baby ? You and I knew the answer. They were unfortunate, unwanted babies born out of wedlock. So to prevent this thing from happening, and not to regret over spill milk, don’t get involved in coupling.

No comments: