Sunday, September 16, 2007

Lesson learnt from ‘walking a mile in the character’s moccasins'

Recently, I read ‘Hero’ a young adult literature written by S.L.Rotten. I really feel it is a great book with few great messages in it. Even though the book is mainly focused on the young adult’s - the protagonist cum the narrator- problems, I do feel that the message in the book ‘gets’ to me as well.
The role of Mrs. Walker as a good, understanding and caring teacher do make me reflect on myself as a teacher. She is portrayed as someone whom Sean, the protagonist seems to respect. She is not just his English teacher in class but she listens and always advises him to be a good student. She also visits him when he is doing his community service at Mr. Hassler ranch and when he is in the hospital. The question I’ve asked myself “Am I anything like Mrs. Walker?” I know that she is just an imaginary character in the book but I am sure there are many teachers like her out there in this world. To be frank, the answer is ‘no’. I am nothing like her. I am an English teacher who teach according to what is given to me in the syllabus. My concern is more on to cover the syllabus content and to make sure my students understood what I have taught them and more importantly, are able to answer the exam questions. Unlike Mrs. Walker, my time and concern about my students are just when they are in class or in school, between 8 am to 4 pm, from Monday to Friday. If I sense my student is facing other than the academic (my subject to be precise) problem, I don’t really try to dig into it in detail, what I usually do is to send him or her to see the counselor or the disciplinary board. Where students are concern, I am not a good listener. I don’t like to drag myself into their life, their problem. I strongly feel that it’s a job of a counselor. Counselors are trained and paid to listen and attend to problems, while teachers are trained to impart knowledge. I am doing to the best of my ability, to do just that. After all, I feel that my students are big enough to know what’s right or wrong.

However, having read ‘Hero’, I gain an insight of myself and also the insight of my students, who really need guidance and second chance. I feel that I need to change, to be a more ‘rounded’ teacher. Even though this is not something new, – to be a caring teacher – I have yet to practice it. I think it’s high time for me to love my students more. True, they are big enough physically but cognitively they are still not mature – they are in the midst of looking for guidance to lead them to the right path. From now on, I’ll not just put myself in my students’ shoes but -as I quote what my literature lecturer said -“try to even walk in the shoes” to better understand the students. I believe this is going to be ‘win-win’ situation. On my part, perhaps, I’ll be appreciated more not just for the knowledge but for being another human being!

No comments: